Saturday, November 13, 2010

Battle of Tours

I was walking down the street when I ran into Charles Martel! Who would have thought I'd run into "The Hammer" at the market? I got a brief interview in with him though, and here's how it went:


Me: Hey Charles! Do you have time for a couple questions?
Charles: Sure, go right ahead!
Battle of Tours Map
Me: Tell me a little bit about yourself and what you've done.
Charles: Well, I was quite stressed when I heard of these Muslim invasions across Europe. These guys were led by a man by the name of Abd-er Rahman were really rolling. It freaked me out, so I got my rally on, and raised an army of warriors. We were called the Francs. Now, these folks weren't exactly trained, but I did what I could in the time I had. We were truly dedicated to winning this battle.
Me: So how did it go? What happened?
Charles: This actual battle took place in 732. They were mounted, and we were not. However, we had the advantage of terrain. We also had the power of willpower. The battle really ended when we captured and killed their leader. Once that happened, they lost steam and retreated.
Me: What was the effect of this battle?
Charles: I am basically the saver of Christianity. If my Francs and I didn't win this battle, Islam would have spread throughout France, and potentially could have taken over completely. So, if you see a Christian in the future, you tell them that they have me to thank.


Charles "The Hammer" Martel earned his nickname for his courageous win at the Battle of Tours. He died in 741. 

No comments:

Post a Comment