Saturday, November 13, 2010

Columbus Leaves Spain

Today, I happened to meet Christopher Columbus. It was fantastic to talk with him. Here's how that went:


One of Christopher's Ships: Santa Maria
Me: Christopher Columbus! It's so nice to meet you! Do you have time for some questions?
Christopher: Sure, I do.
Me: Tell me, what have you been up to recently?
Christopher: Well, in 1492, I departed from Spain. I had three ships with me: The Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. On my first voyage, I sailed till 1493 and discovered places like the Canary Islands and various places in what's now called the Bahamas. I didn't even know where I was going or what exactly I discovered! I called the people who were living there "Indians". 
Me: Wait, you went for more than one voyage?
Christopher: Oh, yes. I went on three so far, and I'm heading out for my fourth!
Me: Did anything especially important happen on any of your voyages?
Christopher: Well, I just discovered some more land. Eh, nothing special. You know what was crazy though? People were saying that I actually discovered the Americas for the first time, which would change the world drastically! I'm not quite sure where I went; I just wanted to sail.
Me: Do you think what you did was important?
Christopher: Most definitely. I discovered many new lands where new cultures and settlements would arise! Plus, more land is always a good thing.
Me: Well, I think that's pretty cool. Good luck on your fourth voyage!


Christopher Columbus, although he didn't know it, discovered the Americas. This would change the world forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment